Manager of Financial Accounting and Reporting
Company: Iowa State University
Posted on: March 28, 2020
Position Information:Position Title:Manager of Financial
Accounting and ReportingJob Group:Professional & ScientificRequired
Minimum Quals:Bachelor's degree and 5 years of related experience;
OR a Master's degree and 3 years of related experience; OR a Ph.D.
or other professional degree and related experience.Preferred
Qualifications:Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance5 years of
progressively responsible, professional experience in related area2
or more years of successfully managing and supervising a
professional accountant teamExperience preparing and supervising
the preparation of complex financial statementsExperience preparing
financial statements in accordance with GASB and GAAPCertified
Public Accountant (CPA)Job Description:The Manager of Financial
Accounting and Reporting is a key leadership position in the
Controllers Department responsible for the Universitys financial
reporting, long-term debt management, capital assets, and financial
general ledger system. The Financial Accounting and Reporting
Managers functions and responsibilities include but are not limited
to:Financial Reporting and Analysis:
- Manage preparation and ensure the annual Iowa State University
consolidated financial statements are prepared in accordance with
Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and Generally
Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Manage preparation of the Universitys Comprehensive Annual
Financial Report (CAFR).
- Manage preparation of varied financial reports as required by
- Serve as subject matter expert and technical advisor on
implementation of new GASB pronouncements, supervise GAAP reporting
revisions, and author new sections.
- Supervise, coordinate and ensure appropriate reviews in the
preparation of supporting schedules and work papers in support of
University financial statements, bond audit reports, and other
- Manage the preparation of GAAP ledger journal entries to record
required accruals and adjustments.
- Provide management oversight and review of the financial
statements of the Universitys component units.
- Serve as the primary contact with external financial statement
- Supervise the analysis and review of University financial data
for reasonableness and lead process improvement efforts for
reporting processes and reconciliations.
- Manage the preparation of audit schedules/reports requested by
- Provide assistance and training to University staff and
external constituents in the interpretation of University financial
information and reports.
- Manage the preparation and ensure timely completion of other
University external reports and analysis as required.Long-term Debt
- Ensure compliance with the bond covenant requirements for the
Universitys bonded enterprises and outstanding bond issuances.
- Assist senior finance leadership by providing data for
inclusion in bond covenants and reviewing proposed bond resolution
language for accuracy and consistency with existing parity
- Provide accounting and reporting for all bond funds.
- Work with external bond arbitrage consultants to account for
and manage arbitrage rebate liabilities.
- Advise units of proper accounting for transactions to ensure
compliance with financial reporting principles and bond resolution
requirements. Capital Assets:
- Oversee and manage the accurate accounting for capital projects
and the maintenance of capital asset records, including the
accurate accounting for capitalization and depreciation.
- Compile quarterly cash flow analysis of major capital projects
funded by private gifts and bond proceeds.
- Provide leadership and consult with external consultants to
maintain complete and accurate building depreciation data.
- Serve as a member of the subset group of the Universitys
Capital Projects Advisory Committee, responsible for overseeing the
financial, planning and construction aspects of the capital
projects processFinancial System Maintenance:
- Oversee review of specific financial transactions, internal
control practices, and monitoring for compliance with applicable
policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Oversee, design, improve, and manage all aspects of the
Universitys general ledger component of the Universitys financial
- Oversee financial system period close processes. Other:
- Provide strong leadership and exhibit successful management
skills while effectively supervising staff, building an effective
team, planning/organizing resources, and setting work
- Develop and make presentations to management on complex
financial data related to areas of assignment as needed.
- Perform high level analytics and problem solving as requested
- Strong inter-personal, communication and organizational
- Ability to manage complex timelines with multiple
stakeholders.Appointment Type:RegularNumber of Months Employed Per
Year:12 Month Work PeriodTime Type:Full timePay Rate Type:SalaryPay
Grade:37Application Instructions:To apply for this position, please
click on Apply and complete the Employment Application. Please be
prepared to enter or attach the following:1) Resume/Curriculum
Vitae2) Letter of Application/Cover Letter3) Contact Information
for Three ReferencesIf you have questions regarding this
application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call
515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.Original Posting
Date:March 23, 2020Posting Close Time:This posting will close at
12:00 AM CST on the date listed below. The posting will no longer
be available to apply to after 11:59 PM CST the day prior.Posting
Close Date:April 20, 2020Job Requisition Number:R2120Iowa State
University is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research
University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American
Universities (AAU), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one
of the top public universities in the nation. More than 36,000
students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and
staff.Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse
university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and
diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that
diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing
innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and
building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we
translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have
experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and
constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees
will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as
embodied in Iowa State Universitys Principles of Community.All
offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the
universitys verification of credentials and other information
required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may
include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer
credit check.Iowa State University is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability,
or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against.
Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410
Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email
email@example.com. If you have questions about the application
process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or
Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485. Iowa State University provides
reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with
disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a
reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring
process should email email@example.com or call (515) 294-4800
or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485. TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa
Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942.General ISU
compensation information can be found here:
https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation.All postings close
at 12:01 AM CST on the date listed. That said, the posting will no
longer be available to apply to after 11:59 PM CST the day
Keywords: Iowa State University, Ames , Manager of Financial Accounting and Reporting, Executive , Ames, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!